Thursday, February 23, 2006

Nightmare of loosing your source code

This is my second post and from now on you will find my blogs with a title attached to it. It was a very busy week, with good amount of research and TAing done. Believe me, the Monday after spending the entire weekend with your classmate from school, will really be hectic. After the weekend, I came back to find a huge pile of homework sitting in my mail-box, to be corrected. Well, I managed to correct them during my office hours.
Today I got some positive results in my research and felt really satisfied. I work on linux platform and use ‘nedit’ as the editor to type in my FORTRAN codes. To my horror, I absent mindedly deleted the source code. "rm *.f90"!! Man...for a moment though, I thought I had lost it. Fortunately for me, I had all the editor windows still open. All I needed to do was go to each one of them and then save them again. All the files were retrieved and a very horrible weekend averted. The funny part is that all this happened, just a couple of minutes after my Professor asked me to make backups all the files. He asks me to make backups and I go and delete the source codes.

3 Comments:

At 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Similar to your case, I once lost all my source codes and I had no nedit windows open! I only had the original code before modification. I had to start to modify the code from the beginning. I was really a nightmare :(

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Shruthi said...

Whoa!! That was close!
That reminds me, I should make a backup right now!
Btw Anon, your last line reads, "I was really a nightmare"! :) Maybe your friends should vouch for that ;0

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger anandanubhava said...

So it is indeed true that ur screaming coz of something to do with research.. either coz ur happy or u lost ur source code :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home