Monday, July 17, 2006

Signal jammed - Laugh at your own risk

How many time have we jumbled up different words? It seems funny for the onlooker, while its embarrassing for the speaker. Its a fraction of a second rotten jumble in the nervous system and you are the object of laughter. Any idea why that happens? Well, I don't exactly know. I guess the mind's too fast compared to the nerves, that transmit the signal from the former into speech, and not ready to recognize this disparity. There is a jamming of two different signals and sometimes many such signals and always they end up hilarious, especially in a tense moment with heavenly gravity. I have landed in such situations myself several times. Once I was referring to a paper by Peters to my friend in one of the meetings and ended up saying, "Paters by peepers". How funny is that?
Me and my Prof were in Pennsylvania for a conference and were talking about our school (North Carolina State University - NC State University) and Pennsylvania State University. He got really worked up and said "Pensy state university". Only thing that prevented me from rolling over with laughter was that I was in the car. There was this another incident where my uncle mixed up school and college and said coolege. I don't even know how to spell them; as most of the times these words don't exist. Then this other time, myself and several friends were in the car listening to the song, dhoom dhoom. There was confusion as to which movie this song had appeared in, boom or dhoom. My friend who was driving, wanted to get his opinion through and in the top of his voice said, "its from the dhovie..." and stopped. The silence was followed with huge laughters. I guess he mixed up movie and dhoom.
Have you or any of your friends ended in such embarrassing moments that can be shared? If so, type them up and lets have some fun.

9 Comments:

At 10:39 PM, Blogger Shruthi said...

This one was hilarious! Had me laughing out loud! :D
I cannot recollect any such example offhand, but yeah, there have been many such incidents, some of them embarrassing too! :D

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Bhargav said...

@ Shruthi
Thank you. Yeah...thare were many such instances. But when I started writing, I remembered only the ones mentioned. The last one was from my friend. Sure, he would have blurted something like that to you too.

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger Shruthi said...

Oh Dhovie? :D Yeah yeah just yday there was something that he said - man what was it? I wanted to remember and tell you too --- sigh!

 
At 1:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey... i said dhoovie... right? :D

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Bhargav said...

@ Shruthi
Please do remember and tell me...

@ Sandesh
Hey...As I said, I dont know how to spell those words. Well, you can add a few more o's in there!!

 
At 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, what a pity I had to taste two worms before reading this great article! I am rotfl, I need to tease my flowing ears quick! So before you say I have mad banners, let me go shake a tower .. I still smell of the Atlantic .. (you know now who I am, catch me offline :)

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Bhargav said...

Thug:
That was some creativity my friend. Yes yes...you better take a shower, or your roommate will run away.

 
At 10:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats not Thug! "I" forced Thug to go through your blog however .. :)

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Bhargav said...

Gotcha, Sandeep. However, the second part of my comment still holds good. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home