Thursday, June 11, 2009

What is the first word you said today morning?

I live alone, at least for the time being. I listen to NPR almost all the time I'm at home. I wake up listening to the radio, get through my morning business listening to radio. I sometimes laugh or smile or frown depending how I perceive whats on the radio.
Then I realize I haven't uttered a single word yet. I have listened to the audio bits, analyzed and thought about some of them, planned what I'll first do when I get to the office - still I haven't uttered a single word. Its like a scene from one of the arty movies that shows a person going through mundane things without any dialogs. Then suddenly couple of words come out, working out the vocal chords that have been silent until now. The ears that had been perceptive to the outside noise hear your voice for the first time - husky to start with but gets clearer with time. There you go, your first words for the day. Sometimes I go all the way to the car without uttering a single word. Simply surprises me.
Today there was an article about mangoes being imported from India to the US. The contributor talked about Alphonso being the king of mangoes. It was then I remembered rasa poori mavinahannu, their smell, their colour, and the soft pulp waiting to be eaten. With these thoughts running in my mind, I said it out loud. They you go - Rasapoori mavinahannu were my first words for the day.

What were yours?

5 Comments:

At 10:10 PM, Blogger Shruthi said...

Depends. When does the day start? If it starts at 12 am, then my first words were, "Yenaytu Puttachi, yaake alutta idya?"

If it starts at say 6 am, well, as it happens, even then it was the same ;)

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Arjun B S said...

I have always wanted to have an apartment for myself types...like the way you live .. but geee!.. I never knew that it's a mime show til you leave home for work :)

Maybe you could try 'ondhu by-two' for tomorrow.. like in the by-two coffee :)re

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Gosh Baggi... u'll not imagine its 1:20 pm as I am typing on this sultry Saturday!!! and still I haven't spoken out loud... not a single word.. although there's a rush of thoughts reeeling through my head!!!!!!!!!!!!
And now there u go I found my first word for the day!! (as I was typing...) that was "...aaaaaaah" :)

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Bhargav said...

@ Shruthi:
I totally agree with you. BTW, puttachi's stories are coming out really nice. Enjoyed reading them. I'm pretty sure that in six months she has learnt a lot more words!

@ Arjun:
Its almost a mime show, until you start singing or whistling.

@ Vidya
I definitely can understand that. Its like you don't have to, right? There is so much going on in your mind, you don't realize you haven't spoke a word out loud.

 
At 6:59 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm coming across this blog a little too late! But I hear ya!!!! My first words are usually "Hello" when I make/take a call, sometimes a couple hours after waking up ... and the reply I get inevitably, is "Did you just wake up???"!!!! :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home